The nation’s only 2-state golf course, with 9 holes in ND and 9 holes in MN!
The 18-hole Bois De Sioux Golf Course facility in Wahpeton, North Dakota features 6,675 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 71 . The course rating is 71.3 and it has a slope rating of 122.
The Bois de Sioux Golf Club is the only public golf course in the nation to have nine holes in one state and nine holes in another; the front side in Wahpeton, N.D., and the back side in Breckenridge, MN. The course proves challenging for the skilled and entertaining for the novice. The course offers watered greens, tees and fairways.
Bois de Sioux Golf Course Facts
- Year Built: 1924
- Designer: Robert B. Harris
- Greens Grass Type: Bent Grass
- Fairways Grass Type: Bluegrass
- Water Hazards: Yes
- Sand Bunkers: 11-20
- Yardage Markers: 200, 150, 100 Yard Markers and Sprinkler
- Training Facilities: Putting Green, Teaching Pro, Chipping Area
- Golf Pro: Dustin M. Harris
- Driving Range: Yes
- Rental Clubs: Yes
- Carts: Yes
- Pullcarts: Yes
- Caddies: No
- Walking: Allowed
- Food: Yes
- Bar: Yes
- Homes on Course: Yes
GOLF COURSE HISTORY
1922 – Interest grew between Wahpeton & Breckenridge citizens discussing the ways of building a golf course in the twin towns.
1924 – The Bois de Sioux golf club was incorporated. Land was purchased on the MN side and a professional golf course designer was hired to build a 9-hole sand green course on MN side. I believe it opened in 1927
1931 – A club house was built on the MN side on the site where the maintenance shop now stands. It burned down in ?? year.
Dirty 30’s – Because of lack of moisture it was impossible to maintain the golf course during the 30’s.
1940 – R.J. Hughes, one of Wahpeton’s pioneer citizens, conceived the idea of an 18-hole grass green golf course for the two cities.
1946 – A committee investigation found that Wahpeton and Breckenridge could support an 18 – hole golf course. They raised $25,000. Mr. Hughes donated the ND land to the city and a 9-hole course was constructed on the Wahpeton side. Mr. Hughes also purchased the necessary land for the 9 holes on the MN side in later years Mr. Hughes deeded the land on the MN side to the Bois de Sioux Golf Club.
1952 – The Wahpeton side was ready for play.
1954 – $10,000 was raised for a new club house on the Wahpeton side. Mr. Hughes advanced the balance of $22,000 to build the club house. No money was available to build lockers. Mr. Hughes again provided the funds.
1956 – MN Side was completed in the fall of ‘56.
1959 – The Bois de Sioux Golf Club changed its name to Bois de Sioux Country Club, and since has been changed to Bois de Sioux Public Golf Course.
1984 – The friendship bridge was installed spanning the Red River.
After the ’97 flood a $1.8M levee system was constructed to protect the golf course, zoo and park system. Included in that was the replacement of the club house, and realignment of holes #1 & #9 and relocating the driving range.
After the ’97 flood expenses mounted to restore the course on the MN side. The golf club turned the land over to the City of Wahpeton; that is how the city became owners of the land in MN. The thought was that the city would qualify for FEMA funding, when the golf club wasn’t eligible. In recent years the CORPS has changed their rulings and they are no longer in business to protect golf courses or parks.
SBA loans have been paid off with the land sale of the MN side for the Breckenridge levee.
This information compiled from meeting minutes Mayor Sturdevant had and notes from Arden Anderson.